- Everybody is invited to enter the 2nd Creative Karuta Award by submitting art & writing works of their favorite scenes/objects in their home/chosen country, featured on Karuta, a traditional Japanese playing card.
- Karuta (English version) is played with 26 clue (writing) cards and the answer cards with the picture. Spread out the answer cards, face up on the table/floor. When a clue is read, out 2-6 players around the answer cards race to be the first to touch the answer card. The winner is the player with the most cards at the end of game.
- The closing date is 30 November 2017, and the 12 winning Works will be selected and awarded at Karuta Festival 2018, February Tokyo.
- This is a great opportunity for you to show off your creative skills and promote the charm of your favorite country globally through your works.
Who can enter? – Eligibilities
- Open to individuals, schools/groups of all ages, abilities worldwide
- Both Individual and co-created works are welcomed
What to be submitted? – Entry work
- A pair of artwork and writing (called ‘Work’) representing the chosen topic in the chosen country by Entrant.
- Multiple entries will be accepted
What is the topic?
- A topic should be a scene/object making distinctive a chosen countryand promoting the charm of the country
- All scenes are regarded as important, not only iconic landmarks, but also the modest scenes playing a role in the country such as culture, people, nature, food and indusry.
- Any style of painting/drawing on no larger than A4 (297mm x 210mm) paper.
- No digital work is accepted.
- Must be in English or Japanese
- Use 3 to 15 words in English
- Compose 5-7-5 syllables like a Haiku in Japanese
- The whole topic should not be included in your writing.
- (eg. If the topic is Statue of Liberty you can write a clue like ‘This is a famous statue in NY’. But ‘You can see the Statue of Liberty over there’. is not acceptable.)
- The 12 winning Works will be selected by a selection committee including Ms. Mikiko Haratuchi, chairman, Kyodo Karuta Association.
- The selection will be made to include the works by different age group.
- The winners will be awarded with the following items at the 3rd Karuta Festival, Tokyo in January 2018.
- Award Certificate
- A set of karuta cards including the winning works
View last year’s winning works here!
Prize: A set of Karuta cards with the awarded works
- Only original art work will be accepted.
- All works that have been shown or accepted elsewhere will not be accepted.
- All submitted Works will not be returned and shall become the property of FROM JAPAN Institute regardless awarded or not.
- The copyrighted images or words (e.g. Pokémon, etc.) are not accepted
- Your work may be modified or partially used to make Karuta cards
- The first name of authors and artists will be put on our website and other publications.
- The school’s name, age of student’s entrants will do the same
- By entering Creative Karuta Award your works will be automatically registered as entries to the ‘200 Countries Karuta Award’ to be selected in 2020.
Ready to enter?
- Choose a country
- Choose a topic
- Write the clue reflecting the topic
- Fill in a Clue Sheet
- Draw/paint a picture
- Paste the Clue Sheet on the back of picture
- Fill in the Entry Form
- Post the following items
(1) the completed Entry Form
(2) the picture on which the clue sheet was pasted at the back
- Mailing address:
2nd Creative Karuwa Award
c/o FROM JAPAN Institute
3-4-45 Shibakubo-cho, Nishitokyo
Tokyo 188-0014 JAPAN